Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Swiftwater Rescue on the Piscataquis River

Since we've moved back it's been go, go, GO! Months ago I thought it would be a good idea to schedule a Swiftwater Rescue course during our first week of being in Maine. I will say it may not have been my best idea ever.

The course is set up to run through scenarios that happen in whitewater. Sometimes people get tossed out of a boat, sometimes a kayak gets pinned against a boulder, and sometimes a person gets foot entrapped. Any of these things could really ruin a day.

A Swiftwater Rescue course teaches techniques for each of those situations. It's a course for people who want to work in water. I was looking more for the course to give me more confidence on the river.

Barrows Falls. 6.13
Now, I'm not a strong swimmer. Not. At. All. In fact, I'm terrible. When we rolled up to Barrow Falls on the Piscataquis River I was overwhelmed. Immediately thoughts were running through my mind that I was in over my head. Or I would be. I almost had myself convinced that I wouldn't actually need to get into the water for the class. Oh, I was so wrong.

The two days that followed were some of the most intense days of my life. I think it was a combination of exhaustion from moving over 2100 miles, maybe that I hadn't slept on a real bed in a week or that I was pushing myself to my emotional and physical limit, that somehow pushed me through the course. Early on there were moments when I hit panic mode but towards the end I realized that I just didn't have the energy to care. I just had to do it. It was kind of an awesome feeling.

By the end of the course I had not only gained my certification in Swiftwater Rescue but I'd also grown as an individual. I had physically and mentally challenged myself and I came out on top. Though I did have some bruising and a blister or two.

For more photographs or to learn more about Swiftwater Rescue please check out Northeast Guide Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment